Sydney Metro - Central Station Advanced Adit
Tunnelling Solutions were engaged by Laing O’Rourke in the early stages of this iconic project within Sydney’s Central Station. The concept was to construct a materials-handling tunnel eliminating the need for track closures to remove material from the live platforms 16-23.
The delivery scope comprised of the following:
- 68m long x 6m wide and 5.5m arched tunnel comprising of Canopy Tubes, Lattice Girders, Shotcrete and GRP Anchor Bolts completed under the live rail above.
- Tunnelling Solutions Road Header (Matilda) working in Sydney Sandstone completed the works in the extremely sensitive live rail area.
- 4no culverts stubs to provide launch area for 900mm bottom up vertical bores to live platform
- Design and Fabricate bespoke vertical auger boring machine to bore from adit culvert stubs to the live platform above.
- 1.5m x 1.5m wide x 4.5m deep hand excavated with timber support reception shafts constructed on live Platforms for the 900mm bored shaft.
- Massive public working environment with a huge amount of stakeholder engagement to ensure all risks were mitigated and methodology communicated and understood by all parties.